Electrode cleaning is part of the essential maintenence of your fusion splicer. Electrodes need cleaning due to the buildup of silica oxide. Cleaning splicer electrodes can be done through the menu on the splicer.
As the electrodes wear from use, eventually cleaning the electrodes will not restore the performance of the splicer, and they will need to be replaced. Worn electrodes lead to weaker splices and higher splice losses. Fujikura, FITEL, Sumitomo, Corning, and Ericsson all specify differing lengths of time between replacing splicer electrodes.
Always replace electrodes as a pair. For optimal performance, electrodes should also be aligned when they are replaced. This is a tuning process to maximise the performance of your splicer. For this reason, it is recommended that you have your fusion splicer electrodes replaced by a trained Yamasaki technician.
- 21 Apr 2013Replacement of Fusion Splicer Electrodes
- 21 Apr 2013A Fusion Splicer Primer
- 07 Apr 2013ORL Measurements in field applications
- 06 Apr 2013How to Generate a Baseline Trace Using Fiber Rings
- 01 Apr 2013Simplex vs Duplex fiber